Personal Selling is the oldest method of selling. It is considered the most effective method of selling. It involves direct and personal contact of the seller with the buyers. It means face to face communication between the buyer and the seller.
Definition of Personal Selling:
According to National Association of Marketing Teachers of America –
- Personal selling is the ability to persuade people to buy goods or services at a profit to the seller and benefit to the buyers.
According to Cyril Hudson –
- Personal selling basically is the art of persuading someone either to accept or to follow our ideas and thus lead them to the action we desire.
Nature of Personal Selling :
- Personal selling involves direct personal contact between the seller and the buyer.
- It is face-to-face and oral communication.
- It is the art of persuasion that converts human needs into demand.
- It is the science of winning the buyer’s confidence in the seller and his product.
- It is both an art as well as science.
- It involves contact with a limited number of buyers.
- It requires a flexible approach as different people react differently. Personal selling is a broader concept then salesmanship. Personal selling, along with other elements of the marketing mix, is a means for implementing marketing programmes.